Epilog Laser Helix
(including rotary device)
We have two laser cutters EPILOG LASER Helix 40W
The Laser Cutter can cut and ingrave in both tree, cardboard, acrylic and gives you infinite possibilities to make cut-outs in both 2D and 3D. The laser is extremely precise and can cut out even the most detailed motives and pictures.
1 plate (max 460 x 610 mm) / max 15 min per turn – if there is a long line of people.
Software: Inkscape (free), Illustrator or similar programs for vector graphics.
- Bring your cutting files on an USB-key or the like.
- File settings: Paper size: 600 x 400 mm (laser cutter dimensions: 610 x 460mm)
- Cut: no fill, solid color, line width 0.02 mm
- Engraving: filled areas and lines 0.2 mm and thicker.
- Double check the lines for cutting! Width 0.02 mm!
- Maximum cutting thickness depends on the material acrylic 10 mm, HDF max. ca 5mm, plywood max. 4-5 mm
- Save as PDF
- Whenever you can, instead of raster engraving try vector engraving – it is much faster!
PREPARE LASER CUTTER
- Remove dirt and material pieces in the honeycomb grid and inside the machine – THESE CAN CAUSE A FIRE!
- TURN ON THE FUME EXTRACTOR (Find the switch in the small hallway between laser and woodshop)
- Turn on the GREY MOTOR placed on the floor next to the right laser
- Your material should be as flat as possible
ADJUST THE HEIGHT OF THE LASER CUTTER BED (do this every time you change material)
- Press FOCUS
- Take the MANUAL FOCUS TOOL and put it on the carriage pins
- Press UP or DOWN until the tool tip touches the surface of your material
- Remove the MANUAL FOCUS TOOL and put it back where you found it
- Press RESET (whenever you press RESET it shows the current HOME position and the JOB list of files
ADJUST THE HOME POSITION if necessary (HOME is the top left corner of the canvas in your file)
- Press POINTER to turn on the red LED dot that shows where the laser will hit
- Press X/Y OFF
- Press GO
- MOVE laser head WITH YOUR HAND to desired position (avoid touching mirror and lens)
- Press SET HOME to lock
- Press RESET to see the JOB list
CUT & ENGRAVE
- Open the PDF in Adobe. Print the file with the laser cutter’s printer driver “Epilog Engraver”.
- Print in “Actual size”, orientation = “Auto”
- Adjust the settings for vector/raster. In “advanced settings” you can find pre-defined settings for specific materials. Also
look at the samples we have in the fablab.
- Select PRINT to send the file to the laser. If the file name does not appear in the laser cutter’s display, try moving the
laser cutter’s USB to a different port of the computer.
- It is always a good advice to make a test to check that the selected settings will cut/engrave as expected.
- when you see your file name and the FUME EXTRACTOR is working – press GO (green button) to start
!!! YOU HAVE TO STAY IN THE ROOM TO OBSERVE THE LASER CUTTER WHEN IT IS RUNNING !!!
- Turn off the laser cutter
- Turn off the GREY MOTOR next to the right laser
- Turn off the FUME EXTRACTOR
- Remove dirt and material pieces in the honeycomb grid and inside the machine
Materials you can use
- acrylic of the type PMMA
- balsa wood
- and more…
Never cut in
- Polystyrene etc..
- For novice users: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Use-a-Laser-Cutter/
- Manual for Epilog Laser: http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads/pdf/mini_helix_4.22.10.pdf
- How to engrave object with the rotary device (e.g. glass): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36kdUQXmaA0
- Video galleri: http://www.epiloglaser.com/laser_gallery.htm
- Good tips: http://www.instructables.com/id/10-Tips-and-Tricks-for-Laser-Engraving-a…
- Template maker (paper): https://www.templatemaker.nl/en/